Sunday, March 4, 2012

Wordle 46


Daughter's Return

After years of absence
my beloved daughter returned
in text messages which she
prefers as a new beginning.
It is a shadow of the former relationship,
without fullness or depth,
but after years of being unaware of 
even where she lives
it feels warm and soft
like a woolly white lamb
to have her in my life
even a little, once again.
She hasn't admonished me
or told me to go away,
bringing me joy like a spring day
when I go coatless 
after a long bitter winter.
Remembering how we
used to bake cookies,
counting them out onto 
metal cookie sheets,
I imagine her in her kitchen
making new recipes which
she shares with me
even though I still 
can't cook!

The words for wordle 46 are: white, returned, prefers, coatless, woolly, shadow, daughter, fullness, unaware, metal, admonish, and kitchen.  Out of these twelve words the word daughter took over.  Had to stretch to get some of the others to fit, but there it is.

8 comments:

  1. Your wordle went to my heart. Mothers and daughters walk a line. I nearly crossed over it last year before my daughters wedding. I think your writing speaks to your tentative hope for connection again. I hope that little light continues to shine- and you can continue to enjoy that feeling of a spring day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, teri! And yes the line is so fine at times and so confusing as well. I crossed it without even knowing I had and after a 14 yr silence I am exceedingly grateful for text messaging (even if I have to figure out how to do it!) I appreciate your stopping by!

      Delete
  2. This is honest writing. I love it, Daphne. Tenderness shines with the woolly little lamb. I'm glad you are connecting. Tentative reachings are beginnings. Texting gets easier for us "digital immigrants." You'll get there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comments and thanks also for letting me know the texting gets easier--my students do it with such lightening speed! And yes, tentative reachings are definitely a good beginning! Have a lovely day! :-)

      Delete
  3. Good job! If it's true, God bless, if not, you still pulled my heart strings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl, and yes it is true and I am very grateful for (if confused by) texting! Have a lovely evening and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. As I read it, I was hoping it was just a well written poem. I'm sorry it's your story, but I'm happy things are getting better, I wish you and your daughter the joy of reconnecting with each other fully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind comment and yes, it is my story but it is moving in the right direction! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete