Sunday, March 25, 2012

Wordle 49: The Quilter


And the words for this week's Wordle are (drum roll please): craft, joy, supple, alchemist, gauge, juices, tender, acid, acumen, sprinkled, and sweep.  I found the words difficult, but then I got the idea of writing about what I do and using the alchemist as a metaphor and I hope it works.

The Quilter 

She sat at her sewing machine
piecing fabric and as an alchemist
would measure and sprinkle
acids over various metals
so she mixed colors and patterns
her acumen helping her gauge
just the right combinations
that would bring a tender smile
from those who saw her craft.
She moved the fabric easily
under the needle of her machine
with a suppleness which belied her age,
her creative juices flowing easily 
as the joy of her art swept through her.

16 comments:

  1. Oh how I'd love to be able to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such joy in creating. Swept off my feet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful. I think any quilter or anyone who lives quilts could identify with your wordle. You used the words seamlessly. So nice to meet you here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! I sure appreciate your comment!

      Delete
  4. Have you ever read "The Quiltmaker's Gift?" It is a beautiful picture book about a greedy king, and the magic a quiltmaker brings to his life. Your poem made me think of it. This is lovely, Daphne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and no I haven't read "The Quiltmaker's Gift" but I will sure do so now! Thanks for letting me know about it. Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  5. oo-o-o-! Wonderful...I could see the works of art come to life! I hope you read Viv's! A kindred quilter:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janet, and yes, I did read Viv's and it is excellent!

      Delete
  6. wonderful. never would have pulled quilting out of these words but you and Viv pulled it off wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A quilt alchemist with writing acumen. Fun wordle-

    ReplyDelete
  8. This works perfectly, and I love the last line!

    ReplyDelete