Sunday, July 15, 2012

Wordle 65: The Dragon and the Unicorn


Here is my response to The Sunday Whirl’s Wordle 65 using these words:  flicks, swells, spray, grittle, gravity, plant, trigger, relishes, chain, crack, humility, refrain, and claim

The Dragon and the Unicorn


The unicorn flicks
her tail with a crack as she stands
trapped and chained
at the cliff's edge.
How could she have been caught?
An iridescent purple dragon
soaring overhead swoops down
onto the cliff as the force of
gravity sprays grittle into 
the surrounding plants.
With the greatest humility
the unicorn asks for help.
The dragon's anger now triggered
rises like swells in the ocean as
she ponders the cruelty of
capturing a magnificent unicorn.
Humans claim all sorts of reasons
for their abuse of other creatures
chanting the old refrain of
dominion over all, but the dragon
relishes the chance to foil their plans.
She quickly breaks the chains
binding the unicorn, and together
they forsake that barren cliff.

16 comments:

  1. now that was beautiful.....I am so glad that at the end the unicorn and dragon flew away, and the dragons didn't unleash their fury on the humans - tho maybe they deserved a bit of rage...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, joanne, and yes I don't think violence ever solves anything and my dragon and unicorn are in accord with me even though, as you say, some rage is deserved. I appreciate your stopping by and I really enjoyed your lightening wordle!!

      Delete
  2. You caught me off guard. I didn't expect the dragon to come to the unicorn's rescue. Well done!

    Gardener Grittle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and you caught me off guard with your Gardener Grittle as well! Nicely wordled on your side also!

      Delete
  3. You've a bunch of other little tales that would make a great book. My story verses keep growing my own book...I wonder if I'll ever connect the dots from series a to series b. I let the wordles guide me. But I have other book ideas up my sleeve...
    We are a talented bunch :)

    Thanks for your visit and kind words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jules, and I'll have to give your suggestion some serious thought. As you say, let the wordles guide us and yes, this is a very talented bunch! Thanks for your visit and kind words!

      Delete
  4. I love this imaginative write! What a unique use of the wordle words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! I appreciate your stopping by and your kind comment.

      Delete
  5. Oh yes!!! I love a tale of unexpected freedoms. You set the stage for the dragons strength to explode into the rescue of one in need. I love when power is used for good. Great write Daphne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, teri, and in a proper world power would only be used for good! Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  6. I do love a tale with an unexpected ending. This was so fun, Daphne. Hooray for the unicorn!!! And its dragon rescuer, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, brenda! And yes, hooray for the unicorn and the dragon! Have a lovely day and thanks for the inspiration in the wordles!

      Delete
  7. A very very different take with an excellent ending...

    planted ruminations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I appreciate your stopping by! Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  8. Wow... as I was reading it I thought..Oh dear, the dragon is going to kill the poor unicorn.. never imagining the twist would be the unicorn being rescued from us nasty humans by the dragon ...lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A charming tale!

    ~Misky
    http://miskmask.wordpress.com/2012/07/16/burn/

    ReplyDelete