Sunday, February 19, 2012

Wordle 44


Restless and unable to sleep
I wander through the house,
clutching a smudgy and scorched
piece of paper, with faint words
I know too well.
Heading out into the woods,
I go where I have gone 
so many times before.
A train whistle echoes in the distance
as I climb the path.
Suddenly losing my balance 
I slide downwards
through bizarre shadowy places
filled with ghosts.
I grab branches as if they were straps
and haul myself upright.
I am covered in sores and
mud seeps in everywhere.
I hear a loud buzzing sound--my alarm! 
Awakening, I realize it was all a dream.
I am safe, nestled in my bed.


This poem uses this week's Baker's Dozen words (smudgy, nestled, ghosts, shadowy, straps, bizarre, whistle, know, balance, restless, seeps, sores, scorched) for Wordle 44 from The Sunday Whirl.

14 comments:

  1. Dreams can be bizarre! I had a dream a few nights back of being in a marching band - (Never in real life) - And to play a clarinet? I think it was just linked to a news photo I saw of some artistic group most of whom played very large woodwinds, maybe bassoon type instruments. Nice use of the wordle list! ~J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jules, and yes dreams can sure be bizarre!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful write, Daphne. Excellent job building tension, I felt my body stress, then relax at the ending. Well executed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Brenda! I didn't realize what was happening until it happened which I really love! It certainly didn't start out as a dream in my head but obviously that is where it wanted to go and I just went along for the ride! Glad you liked it!

      Delete
    2. And I got it updated to include a link back to you! Thanks so for doing the Wordles! I am really having fun!

      Delete
  3. Good transition. I like how you wordled it together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks, Cheryl and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great poem with a funny ending.

    http://thequietone.net -this where my blog is

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bizarre and disjointed dreams are nothing new for me, I loved your interpretation of that jolting moment when the alarm clock brings us back to the waking world. Great images in this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad it was a dream...I followed you into the woods and forgot I was reading a wordle. Well Done!

    ReplyDelete