Sunday, April 8, 2012

Wordle 51: A Mother's Warning


The is Wordle 51 from The Sunday Whirl and the twelve words I must use are: destiny, dusk, staggering, buried, mate, marrow, addiction, songs, blood, story, sorrows, and broken.

A Mother’s Warning

The mother began
her story filled with sorrows
just after dusk.
Her children listened
avidly as she told
of her now buried 
loving mate
who returned home
staggering, broken
covered in blood
only to die at her feet.
Songs will be written
of your father’s addiction
as a warning to others,
his destiny unfulfilled
because of his hunger
for marrows which brought
him up against
the farmer’s trap.
Be warned, young rabbits!

I tried to put a lighter spin on these dark words.  Major nods to Beatrix Potter for my story line!

12 comments:

  1. Oh, so sad for the rabbit father. I love Beatrix Potter, I had those books growing up. What a delight they were.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pamela, and yes Peter Rabbit's father did not have a long life. I too loved the books and so enjoyed reading them to my children. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Love the fairy tale warning! Nicely wordled!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl. Seemed the only way to keep from sliding into the abyss! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Nicely done, Daphne. Potter filled your imagination so you could make it your own. I enjoyed the read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sad story of addiction. I am reading many addiction stories this week and wrote one of my own. The words just seemed to flow in that direction, didn't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. Yes difficult words which I tried to tone down by having a rabbit addicted to vegetable marrow, but sad nonetheless. So glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  6. This is one of your best poems yet!

    I never would have thought to tie it to Peter Rabbit! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lydia! And sorry I am so long in responding! I do appreciate your encouragement a lot!

      Delete