Sunday, April 22, 2012

Wordle 53: A Dragon Ride


In honor of the first year’s anniversary of the Sunday Whirl, today’s words were submitted by the blogs readers (including me! Can you guess which word was mine?).  The words are tricky for sure to combine, and I had a very hard time of it.  The words are: aches, exquisite, abstract, shelved, ferment, dragon, coda, shimmy, origami, spangling, ethereal, and cacophony.   Here is my effort:

An origami dragon
shelved and forgotten
an abstract representation
only a coda of a bygone era
until a young girl 
carrying aches beyond
her years and escaping
a cacophonous party
filled with fermented beverages
came over to admire the dragon.
At once the dragon began to shimmy,
scales replacing
the artificial spangling
as the dragon, with ethereal 
purple wings taking shape
in all her exquisite splendor
offered to whisk the girl
out of the sordid atmosphere
for a ride up into
the skies above.

28 comments:

  1. The words were tricky, weren't they? I like your story and the girl's choice being left to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margo, and yes, I thought we should let the girl's decision remain in the hands of the reader! I appreciate your stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Inger-M! I appreciate your comment a lot! Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  3. How nice to have such a vivid imagination... the girl and you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I was ready to be whisked away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems that dragon and origami went together so well.
    A lovely dragon tale fantasy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much and yes, we certainly weren't the only ones to pair them although I believe you were the only one with such a cool photo of the real thing! Thanks for stopping by and liking my fantasy!

      Delete
  6. Nice fantasy - dragons do lend themselves to that, don't they? I like that you left the ending to the reader also ...

    http://aleapingelephant.blogspot.ca/2012/04/coda-of-crows-dragons-angels-and-swans.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and yes I think giving the reader the choice is good! Loved your crows, by the way!

      Delete
  7. I want a ride, too! Excellent write, Daphne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'll take that ride, too! Lovely take on this week's Wordle.

    http://paulatohlinecalhoun1951.wordpress.com/2012/04/22/the-anniversary-wordle/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the dragon might get tired after giving us so many rides, but nah, she wouldn't tire, she'd love it! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Oh yes, I want to go for a ride. Definitely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your name is on the list :-)! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. You use just the right amount of words! I wrote a book compared to you. And yet our gals got to imagine dragons in flight. Perhaps my flock can aid in gifting rides...we would perhaps need a shrink ray though :)
    Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! A shrink ray! And we'll have to take turns. Thanks for stopping by and I loved yours as well--just the right number of words for your story!

      Delete
  11. A dilemma and a dragon-daydream. Super write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Nan! I appreciate your stopping by! Have a great day!

      Delete
  12. Love this thought:
    "carrying aches beyond
    her years"
    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! And thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  13. This was packed with so much gorgeous imagery! I also love the fact that the ending was left open to interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ever so! Your comment is much appreciated!

      Delete